- April 8, 2019
- Posted by: BHTA
- Category: Healthcare News, Industry News
Following the launch in 2018 of the Get wise leaflet to First Aid kits in the workplace by the BHTA First Aid and Medical Equipment (FAME) section a NEW British Standard specification has just been launched to update the contents of workplace first aid BS 8599-1:2019
What is this standard about?
It details what should be contained in workplace first aid kits of various sizes.
Who is this standard for?
- Buyers of first aid kits
- Manufacturers of first aid kits
- Anyone compiling the contents of a first aid kit
- Procurers of kits for employers
- Anyone, in any industry or workplace environment, with responsibilities for workplace safety, e.g.:
- Health and safety officers
- HR managers
- Office managers
- Operations managers
Why should you use this standard?
It details the components required in small, medium, large, travel and personal issue first aid kits and critical injury packs for use in workplace environments. It also gives requirements for the container holding the components.
The standard contains two key tables: one covering what should be contained in a workplace first aid kit and one providing information on the appropriate size of the first aid kit for the workplace environment.
Such kits encourage those responsible for first aid kits to build a comprehensive kit for common workplace first aid requirements. These promote employer and employee safety and help first aiders and emergency responders provide treatment advice based on available resources.
The standard also supports the requirement for all employers to have first aid kits in the Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulations 1981 – although this standard’s use is not mandatory.
What’s changed since the last update?
Two principal changes have been made since the 2011 standard was published:
- Personal issue kit and critical injury pack categories have been added to the list
- The travel kit has been altered to match the medium vehicle kit covered in the revision of BS 8599-2:2014
The revised relaunched standard can be purchased at the BSi Shop: http://bit.ly/2RYL5JE